Tooth decay is a situation where one’s teeth soften or become weak when the enamel is damaged due to acidity. This can be from food or drinks, which tends to cause cavities over time. If one does not take care of their teeth, the acid eats into the outer surface of the teeth which is the enamel.
Sometimes one is able to know when their teeth start decaying, though is most cases it does not come with any symptoms.
Signs Of Tooth Decay
There are situations when the decay becomes extreme and an individual starts having some specific symptoms:
- Pain: When you start feeling strange pain in the tooth while eating or not, it is time to see a dentist. Most tooth pain can be on and off, but in most cases it is continuous unbearable pain.
- Sudden sensitivity to hot or cold substances: When you suddenly start feeling some sensitivity in your teeth when having hot or cold food substances, that is a sure sign of the onset of decay.
- Swollen gums: Inflammation of gums in most cases has an underlying cause. You would need to visit a specialist for a scan to know if your teeth are in a good state or not.
- Breakage of teeth: If you notice your teeth breaking or chipping off, then it is a sign that you need to get them checked. Once they break, that is when you start feeling pain as the veins are exposed.
Talk to an emergency dentist Brooklyn NY whenever you have these symptoms.
Risks That Trigger Tooth Decay
In most cases, we have our teeth decaying because of some common factors. When one knows the risks that they are exposed to, they can take the necessary preventive measures. Things that increase one’s risk of tooth decay include:
- Where the tooth is located: Most of the time, teeth will start to decay at the back of your mouth. This is because teeth at the back tend to collect a lot of particles and most people will not clean this section as they should. Due to the neglect, they are more prone to decay. Also, the fact that they have more grooves and are closely knit, encourages more food particles to stay hidden within them hence causing cavities.
- Poor oral hygiene: if you do not take good care of your teeth, you are bound to have tooth cavities. You need to brush frequently and if possible, floss quite often. This helps to avoid some of these common dental complications. With frequent cleaning, you get rid of food particles and acidity which often leads to tooth decay. Once you are aware of this, you need to make it part of your lifestyle in order to avoid infections and decay.
- Poor diet: What you eat has a lot to do with how your teeth turn out. If you eat on all the wrong foods, that are full of sugar or acidic, you weaken your teeth and with time they are more exposed to decay. Things like cakes, sodas, ice cream, candy and even citric fruits are bound to expose one’s teeth to decay. These foods leave some bacteria in your teeth that wears them down.
- Age: Many a time, old age comes with more dental complications. As you age, one realises that they have to be more intentional about their oral hygiene. Old age comes with many complications which expose one more to teeth problems than usual.
- Too many dental procedures: People who have had to go through many dental procedures like teeth whitening become prone to decay because their teeth become weak over time.
- Acid reflux: Do you experience severe gastric acid reflux? Sometimes this reflux from the stomach gets to the mouth and as expected, it erodes one’s teeth. With time, this might lead to decaying of an individual’s teeth.
Preventing Tooth Decay
Like any other dental problem, tooth decaying can be avoided in several ways:
- Regular dental check-ups: This helps one to identify any problems or onset of decay on time and get a treatment solution for the same.
- Daily brushing with fluoride toothpaste and flossing: If you do this daily, you reduce the chances of your teeth decaying. This is one of the most affordable ways to maintain a healthy oral hygiene.
- Drinking enough water: Water helps to wash down any particles of food left in the mouth after eating, which prevents any bacteria from infecting your teeth.
- Eating a healthy diet: A good healthy diet is an assurance of healthy teeth. Making eating of fruits and vegetables a habit.
Tooth decay can lead to emergencies such as dental fractures. Consult an emergency dentist Brooklyn NY to schedule an appointment immediately.